JC Newman

November 12, 2007

Weekend review; November 10th and 11th, 2007

This weekend review will consist of the following:

  • Camaco 1962 robusto


  • Perdomo Habana Maduro


  • Serie 601 Red label toro


  • Fonseca 30th Anniversary churchill


  • Rocky Patel Sun Grown Churchill


Saturday, November 10th, 2007




Started out with the Camacho 1962 robusto, 4 1/2 x 50 that Carlos sent for me to try. Almost as soon as I lit this cigar it reminded me of the Camacho Havana series. The cigar had a strong roasted almond taste with some pepper. As I finished the cigar it still reminded me of the Havana series. This was a nice cigar but I think I'd just as well purchase the Havana's since you can get them as such a great deal at J.R.'s.
Score: 8.0


Next up was the Perdomo Havana Maduro Corona Gorda, a 6x60 monster! This cigar had a deep, dark maduro flavor with just a touch of pepper from corojo. The ash was very tight. This cigar has tons of deep flavors. It's very nice and full bodied.
Score: 8.5



The final cigar of the day was a Serie 601 Red Label, 6x50. This cigar is made by Pepin and you can easily tell. The cigar is a beautiful reddish color. It is peppery right from the first draw. This is a top rate cigar in my book; one of Pepin's finest cigars. This is a smooth cigar and the ash is very tight.


This cigar is worthy of a nubbing! Note the fancy "nubbing tool" that one of the guys at the SC Sit Down gave me this past April!

Score: 10.0



Sunday, November 11th, 2007

Only 2 cigars today.

First up, the Fonseca 30th Anniversary churchill, 7x50. This cigar was given to me by Wayne Spivey, aka Fonseca on the RNB board. He was in town for the last SC Sit Down and was gracious enough to give me one to try. In his words, "the cigar is good but I'm not sure it's worth what it costs", which leads me to believe they were somewhat expensive!

Well, the cigar is very dark but I don't think it's a maduro. It did not have a maduro taste. It started out rather mild but at the 1/3 point it became more full bodied. It had some hints of pepper. At the 2/3 point the cigar bacame very full bodied with the slightest hint of the flavor of my favorite Fonseca cigar; the Cubana Limitada. A nice cigar but I wouldn't go looking for more.

Score: 7.0

The final cigar of the weekend was a Rocky Patel Sun Grown churchill, 7x50. This is a great cigar! Full of a fruity, almost sweet flavor. It is quite tastey. Not overly peppery but very smooth. This is one of RP's finest cigars, in my opinion. I always enjoy these!

Score: 10.0

No comments: