JC Newman

February 18, 2008

Weekend review; February 16 and 17, 2008

Pretty decent weekend with temps in the 70's. Had a few new cigars that I'll comment on...


  • Sunset Cigars Co. maduro torpedo
  • CAO Crillo Bomba
  • Don Luis churchill
  • Camacho Diploma


Sunset Cigars Co. maduro torpedo (6 1/2x52)



I picked up this cigar while on our cruise last year. It's from a small cigar shop in Key West, Florida. You can visit their website at http://www.sunsetcigar.com/ . They have a roller in the shop rolling cigars as well as carrying the usual brand names. I like to try local shops house brands. This cigar was beautiful and well constructed. Initially the cigar tasted very leathery. It quickly changed to spicey within an inch. There was no significant pepper. At the halfway point the cigar settlee into a consistent spicey, leathery cigar. Quite enjoyable.


Score: 87







CAO Criollo Bomba (6x50)



Initial draw had a burst of caramel! Undertones of toasted almonds were seen after 1/2 inch. Nice spice noted after an inch or so. This is a very good cigar. I love the flavor the crillo wrapper gives.

Score: 89







Don Luis (Vegas Santiago Cigars) from SC Sit Down no. 4 (7x48)



I'm really pissed right now! I only have one of these cigars left from one of our SC Sit Down's, and this thing is fantastic! It is made by Vegas Santiago in Costa Rica, www.vegassantiago.com . It is a beautiful connecticut shade wrapper with no band. The initial draw was full of wonderful spice and a hint of pepper. It reminds me alot of the Pepin-made 601 Connecticut cigar. Wow! This was a nice surprise. This cigar has been sitting in my humidor for 2 years (I'd guess) and something made me take it out today. I'm sure glad I did. The cigar developed strong caramel notes and it had tons of smoke. The cigar was very consistent. It was great!


Score: 91







Camacho Diploma (5x50)



This is my first experience with the Diploma. The cigar had strong caramel notes initially. Pepper was noted but not too much; just enough. It also had a perfect amount of spice. The cigar is what I'd call "balanced". I was blown away at it's taste! It is about perfect! It stayed consistent. Lots of smoke. A truely fantastic cigar.


Score: 93

No comments: