JC Newman

November 24, 2008

Weekend review; November 22nd, 2008

It was a cold weekend to be in the yard but there was another batch of leaves that had to be removed. Looks like this will be the last big one. After the yard work I settled down for a couple new cigars.
Cigars reviewed this weekend:
  • Primos Habano Criollo Maduro Toro
  • Cubao Torpedo

Saturday, November 22nd, 2008
Primos Habano Criollo Maduro Toro (6x52)

This cigar is made by Los Blaocos. They are very inexpensive. I picked this one up at a local shop (Lite Um Up Cigars). I believe it was around $3.50 or so. I found them online for around $63 for a bundle of 25. It is a very dark cigar; almost black. It's a Nicaraguan cigar which also uses Honduran and Peruvian tobacco. It had good good maduro sweetness, similar to a Perdomo maduro but not quite as sweet. There was some pepper and earthiness. Pretty good spice, too. There is a nice balance of sweetness, pepper and spice. A very enjoyable cigar. The burn was very good. The ash is nice and tight. The finish is long. Stayed pretty consistent with just a slight bitterness at the 2/3 point but it settled back into a good cigar.
Score: 89



Cubao Torpedo (6.1x52)

Eddie Ortega sent me a sampler of this cigar to try. When they arrived I was excited because I have wanted to try them for a long time. I'm always game to try another Don Pepin Garcia made cigar. It is a very nice looking cigar. It is a natural brown color. Immediately upon lighting the cigar I tasted leather. There was an ample amount of spice and lots of pepper! It also has the Pepin-esque "twang" to it. It's a fruity taste, somewhat like tangerine. I've tasted this in other Pepin cigars. I'm not sure if that's the best description but it's all I can come up with. I really like it, whatever it is. The finish is long and pleasing! The cigar stayed perfectly consistent. The burn was lazer perfect! I absolutely loved it. I will buy these cigars!!!!
Score: 94

No comments: