JC Newman

December 01, 2008

Thanksgiving Weekend Review; November 27-30, 2008

Well, Thanksgiving is over and as I write this we're in the month of December, unofficially known as "goof off month". Count how many times you hear "see me after the first of the year" and you'll see what I mean. Everyone is getting ready for Christmas and hopefully for the right reason. On that note I'd like to thank Rev. Doug Graul for meeting up with me at the Maduro Room on Friday afternoon. We had a nice time smoking cigars while most of the city was out doing the "Black Friday" thing!

The cigars I had over this long weekend were quite numerous and most are not being reviewed here as they have been previously reviewed. Here is the list of newly reviewed cigars:
  • Padilla Series '68 Robusto
  • El Cobre Robusto
  • La Herencia De Cuba (Black) Torpedo
  • Padilla Habano Toro
  • Camacho Select Toro
  • Joya De Nicaragua Celebracion Consul
Padilla Series '68 Robusto (5x50)



Nice looking cigar. I have previously reviewed the torpedo but this is my first review of the robusto. I'm interested to see the difference, if any, between the two cigars.

There was heavy spice with rich caramel undertones initially. The cigar had a long, sweet finish. A touch of pepper was noted; not heavy but it adds a nice touch. The finish on this cigar is great! After each puff the flavor that remains is fantastic! The burn is very good. The draw is good. The burn got off a little during the last 1/3 but I touched it up and went on. This was a very enjoyable cigar.

Score: 93





El Cobre Robusto (5x50)



This is a cigar rolled by the Oliva family for family only, but there are a few places that are able to sell them. I was given this cigar by Steve, who works at the Maduro Room. His father in law works at a very popular cigar shop in North Carolina and the owner gets El Cobre's.


It is a very dark cigar. It had a great amount of spice with rich flavor. Maduro sweetness. It builds as it smokes. The finish is great with a sweet aftertaste. Full bodied. I compare it to other known Oliva cigars like this; take the Oliva O maduro and multiply it by 2 at least. This was a very nice cigar. Obviously there is more ligero in this cigar than other Oliva's, and it's very nice!!!! Thanks to Steve for giving me this cigar to try! I really liked it!

Score: 92



La Herencia De Cuba (Black) Torpedo (6.5x52)


I've reviewed the White label version of this cigar previously (on June 28th, 2008) http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/search?q=La+Herencia+De+Cuba+cigars

I was, of course, interested to see how this version would stack up. Well, I found out and it wasn't a pretty site! The spice is below average with very little pepper. Very mild. The website describes this cigar as mild and they aren't kidding! The finish is very short. The previously reviewed cigar was very good and I rated it as such but this cigar falls far short. The spice in this cigar improved at the midpoint but it still is not up to my "par".

Score: 78



Padilla Habano Toro (6x52)

Leather flavor at light up. Quickly transitions to a tangy, peppery flavor. Very nice band on this cigar. It's too bad you can't smoke the band! (ha ha) Pepin and Padilla severed ties earlier this year and I feel this is Ernesto's attempt to duplicate DPG's tangy tangerine spice in his cigar but it falls short. The finish is nice. The spice kicks in at 1/2 way point.

Score: 86



Camacho Select Toro (5 7/8x52)


I picked up this cigar at S.C. Sit Down No. 9. I've been letting it sit since then. At light-up, there was a tremendous amount of spice and cinnamon flavor. Pepper comes out during the next few puffs. The finish is long. This is a nice cigar that stayed consistent throughout the smoke. Very enjoyable.

Score: 90



Joya De Nicaragua Celebracion Consul (4 1/2 x 52)


(no, your eyes aren't going bad; it's a blurry pic)
This cigar had very nice construction. Nice looking cigar. Initially it had lots of spice. There was pepper noted in the spice. The finish is very long right from the start. Very light caramel notes. The spice is great but the aftertaste (finish) is amazing. It has a nice sweet, light caramel flavor. The ash is tight. Medium bodied. Consistent.


Score: 91

No comments: