JC Newman

July 06, 2009

July 4th weekend review/Maduro Room visit

Friday, July 3rd, 2009

After the usual yard work (that is usually done on Saturday, but it got done today so as to free up Saturday!) I took a quick nap, then headed over to the Maduro Room for some cigar bonding!

Twig and I had a little business to do. He's buying one of my watches, which enabled me to purchase another one for myself. Upon arriving at the Maduro Room I noticed Twig had some company. I settled in with an Oliva V.




Twig with the watch; a Swiss Legend Commander diamond dial:

Greg


Mike, Store Manager
As far as reviews this weekend, I have 2;
  • Rocky Patel 10th Anniversary robusto
  • Vega Fina torpedo

.

Saturday, July 4th, 2009
.
Rocky Patel 10th Anniversary robusto (5x50)
.
This is my first try with these cigars. It is a medium brown in color. After the cap was cut I tested the draw. It was effortless. Upon lighting the cigar had a nice, intense cinnamon spice with balanced black pepper notes. The balance is fantastic! The finish is long with light vanilla notes. Pepper is felt on the rear of the throat that tends to linger. This is a very flavorful Rocky Patel cigar. This may be the best RP cigar that I've had! At the midpoint the flavors and notes are still consistent. To me, a good cigar has ample spice with lots of pepper. This cigar delivers. The cinnamon flavor makes this cigar almost like candy! If you're iffy on RP cigars you might want to give this one a try. It's great! Medium bodied. Very good cigar!
.
Score: 94
.
.
Vega Fina torpedo (6x50)
.

This is a cigar that was sent to me by the Altadis cigar group. These are sent as test cigars and I am to give the other 2 to my cigar buddies. Since the Wild Hare is closed for this week I won't be able to give the others away until later, but I am reviewing this one now.
It is a very long, pointy capped cigar. I had to cut quite a bit off the cap to get the cigar to draw. It was still a firm draw but I went with it. After lighting the cigar had a nice spice with almond notes. There were very light pepper notes. This is a mild cigar. It would be a good beginner cigar. You might consider this a "morning cigar". Some people like to start the day with a milder cigar and build up as the day wears on. You could definitely do that with this cigar. The cigar itself was tasty but a little too mild for me. It stayed consistent and the spice was quite nice but it lacked "oomph".
.
Score: 87

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of the RP cigars. However, I have not tried this one. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the review.

JR
www.jrcigarbar.blogspot.com