JC Newman

October 26, 2009

Weekend review; October 24th and 25th, 2009

This was a nice weekend. Saturday started off rainy but by midday it was sunny and getting warm. I even took time to paint the front porch in the mid-afternoon!
.

I would like to give a special thanks to Jack Porter (Outfield Jack) for the 3 Pontillo maduro robusto's. He surprised me at the SC Sit Down no. 11 with some after seeing my plea on the blog a few weeks ago. Thanks again Jack. If anyone else has any feel free to contact me as I'm looking for more. I primarily want the original blend. Email me at ticotych@hotmail.com
.
.
There was plenty of football on tv so when I finally settled down I decided to have a cigar that has been in my humidor for at least 5 years. I received it as a gift on one of my trips to Paradise Cigars in Charlotte, North Carolina. This was Nate Saab's former cigar shop. Nate, as you may know, now works for Oliva Cigars as a rep. Now, on to the reviews.
.

Saturday, October 24th, 2009
.
Old Powder Keg torpedo (6x52)
.



I know very little about this cigar and by searching the internet they appear to be made at a small factory in Connecticut. Go to http://www.cvtobacco.com/ . It seems like a nice place to visit if you're in the area. Smoke Magazine gave this cigar a 9.4 and called it a very full bodied smoke. If you care what I think I'll give you my opinion.
.
The cigar is square pressed. It started off with decent spice with pepper. There were cinnamon notes. The finish is average with vanilla and almond notes. The flavors seemed to intensify after an inch, which was a good thing because it started off very light. It wound up being medium bodied at best. I knew nothing about this cigar when I smoked it so I had nothing to influence me. I found out about the company who made it and the Smoke Magazine info this morning before I wrote this post. There is nothing remarkable about the cigar. It's an average cigar; that's it.
.
Score: 85
.
.
.
Sunday, October 25th, 2009
.
After the lackluster review on Saturday I decided to go with something with a little more reputation.
.
Ramone Allones Specially Selected (Habano)
[Box coded March, 2006] (4 3/4 x 50)
.

A beautiful, light brown cigar that is very well constructed. It is ever so slightly square pressed. Extremely spicy with nice pepper initially. Heavy citrus notes w/ black coffee on the finish. Everyone knows I love citrus notes so it should not be a surprise that I love this cigar. Although this is a Cuban cigar it reminds me of a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic in the non-Cuban category. The citrus spice was very intense after an inch. Full bodied. At midpoint the finish seemed to alternate between roasted almonds and black coffee. The draw was excellent. This cigar has been kept at 62% humidity which allows it to open up for a better draw. Great cigar.
.
Score: 94

No comments: