JC Newman

March 15, 2010

Weekend review; March 13 & 14, 2010

Today's reviews are about as opposite as you can get, both from a brand name point of view and a ratings score also. I am reviewing 2 cigars;

  • Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Double Robusto
  • La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte
.
.
.
Saturday, March 13, 2010
.
Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Double Robusto (5.7x52)
.
.
This review will be quickly dismissed by Fuente lovers but all I'm doing is reporting the truth about this cigar. It started off spicy with subtle pepper. The spice is a heavy almond flavor with semi-sweet grapefruit notes. The finish was long with raw almond notes. Very faint hints of cinnamon were noted. It was medium bodied. For some reason this cigar didn't blow me away or leave me with the desire to smoke more of them. It was very different tasting and I have tried to describe the true taste but it didn't do it for me. I know many Fuente lovers will probably not agree but I sure didn't care for it too much.
.
Score: 84
.
.
.
.
Sunday, March 14, 2010
.
La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte toro (6x50)
.
.
Now we go from a world wide known name like Fuente to La Herencia Cubana, a fairly new cigar brand that is sold primarily, if not exclusively, by Cigars International and it's subsidiaries. This particular LHC cigar is a new one called Oscuro Fuerte. It is a very dark cigar. Oscuro's look like maduros but they aren't. This cigar, however, had a lot of traditional traits that a typical maduro has. It started off with sweet, heavy cinnamon and lots of black pepper! (this already had my full attention) There were subtle citrus notes in the spice. The finish is rather long with vanilla notes. This is a fairly full bodied cigar. The flavor stayed consistent throughout the smoke. I really, really enjoyed this cigar. I recommend trying a 5 pack. You can get them fairly cheap on cigarbid.com. Check them out.
.
Score: 90

No comments: