JC Newman

May 19, 2013

Cult Blood Red Moon Mini Corona (4 3/4 x 42)






Video review HERE.



Over the past several weeks I have reviewed the various Cult Cigars and I've been very impressed with all of them. Today I am reviewing the Blood Red Moon mini corona. This is a small ring cigar that comes in 5 packs. The picture above is the back of the Blood Red Moon pack.

The cigar is nice looking and a medium brown in color. Being a short cigar it is nicely designed for a fairly short smoke.

The cigar consists of:

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
Binder: Nicaraguan
Premium Long Filler: Nicaraguan


Here is a shot of the foot:


 
 
 
 
 
The test draw after cutting the cap was very good with a touch of firmness. The initial flavors were dry cedar, sweet orange citrus, nutmeg, and dry oak notes. The pepper is pretty good at a 7 or 8 rating. The finish is one of a cream with some sweetness and nice lingering pepper.
 
 
 


About 1 inch in the burn is almost perfect. The nutmeg notes are very prominent now. The cedar notes have decreased but the citrus notes are still around, as well as the oak notes. The finish is a thick, long cream. The pepper is very good on both ends. I would call the cigar medium bodied but appears to be working it's way toward medium to full.








Just a bit further I noticed there are now cream notes on the back end of the nutmeg. They have taken the place of the cedar and citrus for the most part. The cream gives a smooth flavor finish on the front end. The actual finish is about the same, as well as the pepper intensity.










With about 1 1/2 inches remaining the nutmeg is still prominent. There are subtle cedar notes to go along with the cream. The oak is back and it's charred. The cigar seems to be somewhere between medium and medium to full. The cigar does not have a great deal of sweetness.









Here at the end the cedar made a resurgence. The nutmeg and cedar combine nicely. The cream notes have dissipated. The charred oak also made a tick upward. The finish, strength, and pepper remained the same. I wish the cigar had a little more sweetness. If it did it would be unstoppable! However, the flavor combination was very good and I enjoyed the cigar a lot. I am hopeful that my local shops will consider carrying this cigar. I think it would do very well. Again, I have been very impressed with the entire Cult line.

Score: 89
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds like a great cigar choice

Anonymous said...

"the finish, strength , pepper and sweetness are so important to me too when it come to choosing my cigars.
I have been into Nicaraguans lately. I will try Cult cigars next!