JC Newman

July 18, 2015

A. J. Fernandez New World Connecticut Toro (6 x 52)





Video review HERE.


The unique blend of the New World Connecticut was created after the overwhelmingly positive response from the public and critics alike, when New World was unveiled at the 2014 IPCPR.

A.J. Fernandez said: “The New World cigar was a very special project as it was the first cigar that was created with the help of my father Ismael Fernandez since he joined me at A.J. Fernandez Cigars. I am more than thrilled that the public reception has been so positive, that it has once again allowed us, as father and son to create the New World Connecticut.”

Unlike the original New World, the Connecticut is not box pressed.


Wrapper: Connecticut Shade U.S.A.

Binder: San Andres Mexico

Filler: Nicaragua, Brazil


New World Connecticut will be available in a beautifully adorned 20 count box and in four sizes:

CORONA GORDA 5 ½ X 46

ROBUSTO 5 x 50

TORO 6 x 52 (REVIEWED TODAY)

BELICOSO: 6 x 54



The cigar is nice looking with no  major veins. It has a nice feel in the hand. Here is a shot of the foot:





This is the second cigar I had for this review. A few days ago I smoked one and without knowing it I must have smoked it too quickly. The flavors quickly went into an almost vegetable-like flavor. I decided I would smoke the review cigar much slower in hopes the flavors would come out. Plus, I incorporated my "eat and apple" trick to cleanse my palate.

The test draw after cutting the cap was perfect. The initial flavors were a high pitched tangerine flavor with some boysenberry notes, dry wood, and roasted almonds. There were a lot of lighter flavors to begin with.


About 1 1/2 inch in there are now some cream notes and a light black coffee at the base. The sweetness of the tangerine has increased. The cigar is mild to medium bodied. The finish is one of citrus and toasted cream. The pepper is a black pepper rated at a 7 1/2.



Just past the midpoint there are some dry cocoa notes mixed in with the citrus. There are still some roasted almonds and light cream. The boysenberry notes are gone. The cigar is medium bodied at this point.









The cigar ended an elevation of the roasted almonds. The tangerine flavor seemed to morph over to an almost cedar flavor. The light dry cocoa and coffee remained. The cigar moved up in strength, which surprised me. It reached medium to full bodied. The finish was unchanged. I was surprised at only 1 hour out of a toro sized cigar. This cigar cannot be compared to the original New World as this is a completely different animal. This was an enjoyable cigar. Perhaps a little lighter than I'm use to but good nonetheless.


Score: 90

No comments: