JC Newman

July 06, 2024

Barba Amarilla 2024 (5 5/8 x 48)





Video review HERE.


(Description provided by Smallbatchcigar.com)

We're very excited to introduce a bold new liga from Steve Saka, exclusive to Small Batch Cigar! What follows are some words from the man himself on how he crafted this beautiful cigar and how it would go on to earn its name:

"Barba Amarilla is the moniker for the venomous Fer-de-Lance. It is a very aggressive snake and the one often regarded as the most dangerous in Nicaragua.

It is an odd name for a cigar, but when I crafted the blend in early 2020 I found myself 'bit' by it. Not only was it potent, but it really held my attention – there is something about its spicy, sweet cedar core that is hard to describe, yet so alluring. My first thought was ‘oh this is going to be dangerous for my wallet…’, hence the name. It is a very complex liga that includes seven different sun grown tobaccos and an unusual recipe as it is solely a combination of Viso and Ligero long-leaf tripas.

To temper its peppery bite I decided to rest these longer in the cool rooms and I am so glad I did as it really allowed the flavor profile to blossom – think a stronger liga that has been allowed to age to creamy perfection. I strongly suggest you take a moment to inhale the scent of this cigar before you spark it as it has the most alluring of sweet tobacco scents, only to be surpassed by its aroma as you smoke it. Also, please don’t forget to retrohale this puro so you can enjoy a bit of its green peppercorn core.


The cigar is medium brown and well made. It has an average feel in the hand.

 



The test draw after cutting the cap was a little firm but workable. The initial flavors at light up were peach, lime, apple, cinnamon, and leather. There was black pepper rated at 7 1/2. Pretty good start.



At the first third (27 minutes) the ash was still intact. I had the same notes but in order of prominence they are lime, peach, apple, light cinnamon, and leather. The cigar is medium to full bodied. The finish is leather with very good lingering black pepper. The cigar is quite good. Dunbarton has done a good job for Small Batch. I rated the first third 95.




As I moved through the second third (57 minutes) the front end sweet notes are now one massive sweet flavor. The leather has increased. The cigar is medium to full bodied but it's almost full bodied. The finish is unchanged. I rated the second third 94.




The cigar lasted 1 hour 25 minutes. The leather continued to slowly move up while the sweet notes slightly decreased. The cigar is full bodied. The finish is unchanged. I rated the final third 93. This is a good cigar and well worth trying. You can get the 2023 version in 3 packs and the 2024 version in 3 packs or boxes of 10. No codes or discounts on these but still a must try. Use my code, tinytim, on other Smallbatchcigar.com cigars and save 10%.




Overall Score: 94

No comments: