JC Newman

November 25, 2012

Emilio Cigars H Series Maduro Robusto (5 1/2 x 50)






Video review HERE.


I decided to switch gears today and review another of the Emilio Cigars other than the AF series, which I have one other to review next weekend, the AF1 maduro. Today I'm reviewing another maduro from Emilio Cigars, the Series H maduro robusto.


The Emilio Cigars website describe this cigar as having a Jamastran Ligero wrapper with Nicaraguan and Costa Rican filler. They also say it's a double ligero cigar. That sounds interesting so I decided to have this cigar today.


The cigar is very well made with no veins. It is a very dark brown, almost black, and feels dense in the hand.




After cutting the cap the test draw was very good with just a touch of firmness. The initial flavors were espresso, white pepper, semi-sweet dark chocolate with very little sweetness, and a few cedar notes. The flavors were actually very hard to pin down so I let it sit.



About 3/4 inch in I decided to change my assessment of the flavors. I'm really only getting a lot of espresso and cedar. The pepper is a 5 to 6 on my scale and it is indeed white pepper. The finish is a toasted almond with a little lingering pepper. The cigar is medium bodied which surprises me since it's a double ligero. The main flavor is espresso and there is a ton of it. The cedar has very little sweetness to it. You could also add the flavor of earth to the others at this point.




About 2 inches in the flavors changed a bit. The cedar is very light and the predominant flavor is espresso but you can add unsweetened dark chocolate. That's the mystery flavor that eluded me to this point. The finish is on the par of a toasted cream now. The pepper is decent on both ends and you give the white pepper a rating of a 6 on the front end. This cigar might be good as an after dinner cigar.







 
With no major changes from the 2 inch point to the end I can say this cigar is definitely for those of you who like lots of espresso notes and unsweetened dark chocolate. The cedar is very light with a small amount of sweetness. The cigar ended up medium to full bodied which again, surprises me. I would have preferred the cigar to have much more sweetness and some richness.




Score: 85

No comments: