JC Newman

January 07, 2017

The Judge Toro (6 x 56) by My Father Cigars




Video review HERE.


(Description taken from Cigar-Coop.com website)
The Judge is the fourth blend by My Father Cigars’ eponymous named brand. My Father Judge features a dark Sumatra Oscuro wrapper over Nicaraguan tobaccos from the Garcia family farms. This includes a double binder and three different fillers. The cigars are being offered in two box-pressed sizes (Toro and Grand Robusto). The cigars are packaged in 23 count boxes.

The Judge had its debut at the 2016 IPCPR Trade Show. It now joins the other three My Father branded blends which include the original My Father (Habano Rosado wrapped blend), My Father LeBijou 1922 (Habano Oscuro wrapped blend), and My Father Connecticut (Connecticut Shade wrapped blend).

Blend Profile:
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra Oscuro
Binder: Nicaraguan (Double: Corojo, Criollo)
Filler: Nicaraguan (Three tobaccos)
Country of Origin: Nicaragua (My Father Cigars SA)

Vitolas Available:
Grand Robusto: 5 x 50
Toro: 6 x 56 (REVIEWED TODAY)


The cigar is box pressed and well made. It features a dark brown wrapper. Here is a shot of the foot.




After cutting the cap the test draw was just a bit firm but very workable. The initial flavors were a tangy, sweet orange citrus with lots of brown sugar as a secondary flavor and quite a bit of black pepper which I rate at a 7 1/2 to 8. 


About 1 1/2 inches in (30 minutes) there has been the addition of a sweet caramel. The combination of sweet, tangy citrus, brown sugar, and caramel make for a unique flavor. It is quite sweet. There is also a dark coffee note at the base. The cigar is medium bodied. The finish is one of a caramel with some lingering black pepper. 



At, or near the midpoint (50 minutes) the flavors are, for the most part, unchanged. You get the tangy citrus right up front, quickly followed by the caramel mixed with the brown sugar. The coffee notes are now an earthy type coffee. While the black pepper remains very good it may have toned down a touch. The flavors are very close to evenly distributed at this point. The finish is unchanged. The cigar is medium to full bodied now.



The cigar stayed true to the end making few, if any changes. It lasted quite a while; around 1 hour 38 minutes. The only thing that changes was the strength. It got to a low grade full bodied status. The finish was unchanged. The cigar was very My Father-esque. By that I mean that it has all the flavors of a My Father cigar. For those of you who like other My Father cigars you will probably like this one as well. I believe I paid around $12 for this cigar at a local shop. Even though this was a large cigar it was quite enjoyable. I have not tried the robusto size. This cigar is right in my wheelhouse. I enjoyed it quite a bit.


Score: 93

No comments: