JC Newman

November 30, 2017

New rating system coming for 2018

Video description HERE.


Lately there has been a push to have reviewers scores more closely related. So, I am making a slight adjustment in my scoring. It's not a big change but it may actually help me. As you know if you follow my scoring and watch my Youtube reviews my baseline score for "would I have/buy this cigar again" has been 90. In my opinion that's where all cigars start and either move up or down from there.

Beginning in 2018 my baseline score will change to 85. While this is not a big change it will make a typical 90 score in today's reviews an 85. It will also free up some scoring space with a bigger range above 85. This will take a little mental adjustment on my part but as I have always said the score is not the biggest part of my reviews, the description of flavors is. I want to describe the cigar accurately so that you can decide for yourself if you want to invest in the cigar or not.

Current scoring         New scoring
96                              95
95                              93
94                              91
93                              90
92                              89
91                              87
90                              85
89                              84
88                              83
87                              82

There is still the possibility of a cigar scoring above a 95 so stay tuned!

Since a cigar can change from beginning to end I will also implement a rating at 1/3 intervals. I will score the cigar shortly after light up, at the midpoint, and the final third. The overall score will be a compilation of all 3 with some influence from "floating factors". It will not necessarily be the average of all 3 scores but in most cases it should be close.

Another change, which should not really be a change at all, is all cigars received through the mail will sit a minimum of 14 days before reviewed. Anything purchased locally from a brick and mortar shop will be reviewed as soon as I have time with no set resting period  unless the shop received the cigars less than 2 weeks ago.

Thank you.


2 comments:

CigarAdvisor said...

I used to have a 4-star scale and even flirted with number-rated scores until I decided that readers could get a pretty good idea of the cigar based on the content of my review. Scores are great for giving the reader an instant snapshot of your reviews, but I also decided that if I didn't like the cigar it wasn't worth reviewing. I agree with you that 85 is a good baseline, since it's also a respectable score. For that matter, you could say that every cigar review I post is at least an "85," but even though numbers often speak louder than words, I opt to go numeral-free.
Keep up the good work, Tim. You're one of the few reviewers I enjoy reading, no matter what your number scale. ;-)
G-~

Tim Rollins said...

Thank you very much, both for the comments and the info. To me it's all much adu about nothing but if it helps the masses compare reviewers so be it. In the end you can tell if I like the cigar or not but that's not the thing I'm trying to do. The biggest compliment anyone can give me is I was honest in my review and described the flavors accurately. We all have different palates so every cigar produced has a market. I respect the art of rolling cigars so I am not a "cigar basher".