JC Newman

January 01, 2023

Casa Cuevas Sangre Nueva Toro (6 x 52)





Video review HERE.


(Description taken from Halfwheel.com website)

Casa Cuevas has begun shipping Sangre Nueva, the company’s newest line and the first to be solely blended by Alec Cuevas, the company’s director of brand development and the fifth generation of the Cuevas family to be part of the company.

The blend uses a Cameroon-seed wrapper grown in Ecuador, a Honduran corojo binder and fillers from the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua and Pennsylvania. In the filler, Cuevas opted to use a larger percentage of Pennsylvania broadleaf to give the cigar added strength. The company calls the blend’s profile medium to full bodied.

It is offered three vitolas:

Casa Cuevas Sangre Nueva Robusto (4 3/4 x 52) — $13 (Box of 10, $130)

Casa Cuevas Sangre Nueva Toro (6 x 52) — $13.50 (Box of 10, $135) REVIEWED TODAY

Casa Cuevas Sangre Nueva Double Perfecto (6 x 58) — $14.75 (Box of 10, $147.50)

The company produces the line at Tabacalera Las Lavas S.R.L., its factory in the Dominican Republic.


“The slogan “old traditions, new generation” signifies so much more to me than a passing of the family torch,” Alec Cuevas said via a press release. “It represents all the experiences I’ve ever been through in this industry, from working behind the counter selling my fellow manufacturer’s products, to spending my summers learning all there is to know about our factory from a very young age. Sangre Nueva is a personal love letter to my family, who placed their faith in me to create something from scratch given my knowledge of tobacco. It is also the culmination of patrons and distributors alike that took time out of their day to educate me and better help me define my palate throughout all these years. It’s been a blast creating such a savory blend, and I think it’s a perfect representation of the gratitude I have for this one-of-a-kind industry.”


The cigar is nicely made and has a nice feel in the hand.




The test draw after cutting the cap was good. The initial flavors at light up were quite interesting; ginger, citrus peel, brown sugar, cinnamon, and light leather. There was black pepper rated at 7 1/2. Nice start.



At the first third (29 minutes) the ash was a little flaky but still intact. I still had the ginger, brown sugar, cinnamon, light citrus peel, and some earthiness. I didn't have the leather but I did get the additional flavor of toffee and there is richness in the flavors. The cigar is medium bodied. The pepper has increase to an 8. The finish is ginger, toffee, and good lingering black pepper. This is a unique cigar. I rated the first third 95.




As I moved through the second third (53 minutes) the cigar continued to be extremely sweet. There now seems to be light leather to go along with the light earthiness at the base. I still had the ginger, toffee, brown sugar, and cinnamon. There is still some richness in the cigar. The cigar is now medium to full bodied. The finish is toffee and very good lingering black pepper. There is quite a bit of lingering black pepper. Around the midpoint there were brief notes of cherry syrup and whipping cream but they did not last very long. The cigar is very good. I held the score of 95.




The cigar lasted 1 hour 23 minutes. In the final third citrus notes appeared to go along with the ginger, toffee,  brown sugar, cinnamon, a little earthiness, and extremely light leather. The black pepper is around 8 1/2 on the front end. The finish is toffee and very good lingering black pepper. The cigar is now full bodied. This has been a very unique cigar but it's also very good. I held the score of 95. Alec did a great job with this cigar. Seek these out. Smallbatchcigar.com has them and use code Tinytim for 10% off and get free shipping.




Overall Score: 95

No comments: