JC Newman

June 30, 2008

Weekend review; June 28th and 29th, 2008

Busy weekend! My niece, Candace, got married Saturday afternoon in Liberty Hill, SC, which is a little more than an hour from home. It was a nice wedding. There was some rain at the outdoor reception (which was covered) but that didn't dampen their day!



After the wedding I decided to stop off at a new cigar shop/lounge that just opened in Columbia. It's in the northeast part of town on Hardscrabble Road. It's called Lite Um Up Cigars. They are the only cigar shop around here that sells cigars and had a full bar! Right now they're serving 6 micro brews on tap as well as bottled beer and a large wine selection. Liquor is coming soon.



The humidor is well stocked with some familiar names as well as some the other shops in town do not carry.

I didn't have my camera with me this time but you can bet I'll be back and snap a bunch of pics for you to see.

They have some nice events lined up already. Check out their Events tab on their website.

http://liteumupcigars.com/default.aspx



Both the owners are military men. Tom is retired out of the military and Tony is still active duty. Thank you both for your service to our country, gentlemen!



Nice place. Check it out! I'll be back again! Since they're on the other side of town from me, Friday nights will be a good time for us to stop by. It's not too far from my office.



Now, on to the reviews...



Saturday, June 28, 2008



While at Smoke Um Up Cigars Tom suggested a new cameroon cigar for me to try. As a lover of good cameroon I said sure! So, let's review it...



Cusano 59 Cameroon Preferido (5.7x58)


The cigar starts off with lots of spice. There are caramel undertones with hints of cinnamon. This cigar has the classic cameroon taste! The cigar stayed consistent throughout. Firm draw but not overly so. The burn was good. Construction was good. This is a very good cameroon cigar. I'll have to try them more.


Score: 89





Sunday, June 29, 2008


La Herencia De Cuba torpedo (6x52)



This was another cigar I got from the new shop. I'd never heard of these cigars and Tom said he was the exclusive S.C. distributor for them. There was spice with hints of pepper upon initial lightup. There were leather notes. Quite spicy after the first inch. Leather overtones remained. Nice, tight ash. (I notice stuff like that) A very enjoyable cigar that stayed consistent. The flavors were quite nice together. I must get more of these!


Score: 92





Gran Habano Habano #3 churchill (7x50)



I believe I've reviewd this cigar before but here's another one; slightly updated.

Very nice spice with leather undertones. The ash is very dard; almost black with spots of gray. A rather dense feeling cigar. Very slow burning, but even. The finish is short which is about the only negative I have on this cigar. All in all a very good cigar.


Score: 91

No comments: