JC Newman

February 09, 2009

Weekend review; February 7 and 8, 2009

What a great weather weekend! Temps in the 70's! We opened the house and enjoyed the fresh air! Connie had me in the yard digging up day lillies. Man, those things can multiply. Hopefully they're gone for good.
I am reviewing 2 cigars this weekend. They are:
  • Jericho torpedo
  • La Gloria Cubana Serie R no. 5
Saturday, February 7th, 2009
Jericho torpedo (6x52)

This cigar came from Ligero1, a buddy on a cigar board who said it was a great cigar after sitting all these years. Jericho was a brand from about 4 years ago. Jericho cigars are made for Camacho by Tabacos Puros de Nicaragua, S.A. The same company that makes the excellent Joya de Nicaragua smokes. At the time these were out I never heard anything spectacular about them so I never bought any. Well, Lig really raved about them and sent me one to try. I received it about 3 weeks ago and decided to let it sit and settle down before I smoked it. I decided to have it today.
There was quite a bit of peppery spice with a cinnamon and almond undertone initially. This cigar is very unlike any of Camacho's other cigars. Past the midpoint there were notes of a cinnamon/caramel mis. Love the peppery spice a lot. Finish is fairly long and sweet. Very good cigar. I'm not sure what these tasted like when they were new but I can tell you this is a good cigar. I checked the web to see if any were available and looks like they're all gone. If I could find some of these I'd buy them. So, if you have some of these sitting in the bottom of your humidor try them again. You won't be sorry!
Score: 92






Sunday, February 8, 2009
La Gloria Cubana Serie R no. 5 (5 1/2 x 54)

Very dark cigar. It starts off with leather and spice. It quickly transforms to substantial pepper with sweet notes. After an inch it has the typical maduro flavors. At this point it has a lot of spice with sweetness and pepper notes. The finish is quite long. Full bodied. I can feel the ligero in this cigar as I got to the midpoint and beyond. Nice, full bodied maduro but it lacked the potent sweetness that I love in maduros.
Score: 88

No comments: