JC Newman

February 15, 2010

Blizzard 2010...and weekend reviews

I SURVIVED THE BLIZZARD OF 2010!!!!
.
.
Ok, it wasn't exactly a blizzard but around here it was definitely a lot of snow! It started Friday afternoon around 4pm and it was actually very pretty as it fell. The flakes were big. We don't get a lot of snow very often so everyone was excited to see it. When I woke up Saturday morning the entire neighborhood was covered. I quickly went outside around 9am to snap some pics as I knew it would not last long. In my front yard I measured...

.
.
Almost 6" inches!
.
Across the street looked like this:

.
.
This is my front yard at 9 am Saturday.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Backyard...
.
.
.
.
.
The golf course behind my house. This is looking down the 18th fairway from the green.
.
.
.
As I said previously, I decided to take these pics early Saturday morning because I knew it wouldn't last. At 5pm Saturday afternoon (9 hours later) I took this pic:
.
.
.
So, it was nice while it lasted.
.
.
Now, on to the reviews.
.
  • Ambos Mundos no. 1 toro
  • Padron 2000 robusto
.
.
.
Saturday, February 13, 2010
.
Ambos Mundos Ecuadorian toro (6x50)
.
.
I picked up this cigar while at the Maduro Room in Lexington on Saturday afternoon. The roads were clear of ice and snow so I drove over. This cigar is from Pete Johnson and Don Pepin Garcia. It was quite spicy with a vanilla/citrus spice and average amount of pepper. The finish was long with thick vanilla notes. This was a good cigar but not as "powerful" as some of DPG's other cigars. I enjoyed it though, and it was priced right; around $6 at the shop which is cheap nowadays!
.
Score: 90
.
.
.
.
Sunday, February 14, 2010
.
Yes, it's Valentines Day! The wife and I aren't Valentines "nuts" so the day is pretty low key. We exchanged cards but that's it. I'd rather do something nice for her on her birthday or our anniversary or on vacation.
.
Padron 2000 robusto (5x50)
.
.
Gently square pressed. Great maple cinnamon spice with a ton of black pepper! There were citrus notes mixed in the spice. The pepper is the star. Finish was long with raw sweet almond notes. The cigar produces a ton of smoke. I'd call this a medium to full bodied cigar but it won't knock you down. It's just plain good! The shop had it priced at $4.50 each. This is a very good cigar.
.
Score: 92

No comments: