JC Newman

November 05, 2017

My Father La Opulencia Toro (6 x 54)










Video review HERE.



(Description taken from Cigar-Coop.com website.)
At the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show, My Father Cigars showed off its newest My Father branded product – La Opulencia.

My Father La Opulencia features a Mexican Rosado Oscuro wrapper over Nicaraguan binder and fillers. It is the first My Father branded cigar to use a Mexican wrapper that is in regular production. The cigar is available in six sizes: Petite, Corona, Robusto, Toro, Toro Grande, and Super Toro. Each is packaged in 20-count boxes.

La Opulencia joins the other four My Father branded blends which include the original My Father (Habano Rosado wrapped blend), My Father LeBijou 1922 (Habano Oscuro wrapped blend),  My Father Connecticut (Connecticut Shade wrapped blend), and My Father The Judge (Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapped blend).


Blend Profile
Wrapper: Mexican Rosado Oscuro
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Country of Origin: Nicaragua (My Father Cigars SA)


Vitolas Available
Petite: 4 1/2 x 48
Corona: 5 x 46
Robusto: 5 1/2 x 52
Toro: 6 x 54 REVIEWED TODAY
Super Toro: 6 x 60
Toro Gordo : 7 x 56



The My Father cigars have a beautiful band and this cigar is no different. It's well made and has a nice feel in the hand. 






The test draw after cutting the cap was very good. The initial flavors were a bit strange. They were whipping cream, black licorice, and brown sugar, black coffee, and black pepper rated at a 7 1/2. 




A little over an inch in (15 minutes) the flavors have changed tremendously. The flavors now are a light brown sugar, leather, and lots of roasted nuts almost in a natural peanut butter consistency. I realize this is highly unusual. There were also unsweetened dark chocolate notes and black coffee. At this point there is not much sweetness in the cigar. 




About 2 inches in (30 minutes) I am resolved to the fact that I am not going to get much sweetness in this cigar. There is just a touch of cedar with an ever so slightly amount of brown sugar. There are massive amounts of leather and that peanut butter consistency with dark chocolate and black coffee. The cigar is medium to full bodied. The finish is one of leather and nuts with a small amount of lingering black pepper. This cigar is very odd for a My Father cigar.




At the midpoint (47 minutes) the only thing that has changed is the cigar is now full bodied. The flavor notes are unchanged.






With about 2 inches remaining (1 hour 8 minutes) there have been small changes; the peanut butter consistency and leather notes have decreased but the dark chocolate and black coffee notes are still very prominent. The cedar is almost undetectable and you can pretty much forget about any brown sugar. The cigar is still full bodied and the finish is unchanged. This is an unsweetened, dark noted cigar.




The cigar lasted 1 hour 30 minutes. The heavy unsweetened dark chocolate and black coffee notes continued to the end. There were minor amounts of leather and peanut butter flavor. There were very little cedar notes at the end and no brown sugar. The cigar is very full bodied and the finish is unchanged. This cigar is totally dark noted with little to no sweetness. I am puzzled as to why My Father cigars is targeting this cigar to but since there is a market for everyone I'm sure some of you will like this cigar. But, it missed the mark with me. If you would like to try these cigar you can purchase them HERE.


Score: 86

No comments: