JC Newman

September 03, 2019

Long Live The King Toro by Caldwell Cigars and AJ Fernandez (6 x 50)

Video review HERE.


This review is a little unusual. I reviewed this cigar while at the Couples Sans Souci Resort in Ocho Rios. The internet was spotty and I filmed the entire review on my LG G6 phone. Since I had to focus on getting the video there are no pictures to display here. So, to get the best idea of the review I urge you to look at the video. 


This is a secret venture between Caldwell and A.J. Fernández. The blend is a Nicaraguan interpretation of the blends. AJ Fernandez blended these as Nicaraguan puros and only created a very limited amount of each, 250 boxes of each size in this release. The cigar is a Nicaraguan puro featuring a rich Nicaraguan Habano wrapper, with an aged Nicaraguan core.


The cigar is a 6 x 50 toro.


The test draw after cutting the cap was very good. The initial flavors at light up were a sweet cedar, cinnamon, quite a bit of brown sugar, nutmeg, a few notes of caramel, and a nice black coffee base. There was black pepper which I rated at 7.


At the first third the flavor notes continued about like they started. The caramel, nutmeg, and brown sugar are combining to make a very nice creamy, sweet flavor. The coffee is not subtle but it's not in your face. The lead flavor is primarily cedar with some faint tangy notes. The black pepper remains very good and is up to 7 1/2. The finish is a caramel laden cream and nutmeg with a decent amount of lingering black pepper. The cigar is a low grade medium to full bodied. I like this type of cigar and rated the first third at 93.


At the second third the flavor notes are about the same. The cigar is medium to full bodied. The nutmeg has some increased earthiness. I enjoyed this cigar and it's in my wheelhouse. I raised the second third score to 94.


The cigar lasted approximately 1 hour 10 minutes. Since my mission was to get the video and having to film it on my phone I did not start the timer so I am unsure of the exact burn time. In the final third the cigar continued to improve. The cinnamon, caramel, and nutmeg are really coming out; particularly the cinnamon. The cigar ended full bodied. The lead flavor is a cedar but it has flashes of citrus which are nice. The black pepper seemed to increase slowly as the cigar burned and in the final stages it was close to an 8. The finish has much more nutmeg but you still have caramel and brown sugar. There continued to be a nice amount of lingering black pepper. I very much enjoyed this cigar and have purchased close to a box of them by now. As the cigar improved in each stage the score also improved. I rated the final third at 95. This is a very good cigar.

First third: 93
Second third: 94
Final third: 95

OVERALL SCORE: 94

No comments: