JC Newman

July 17, 2016

Hammer + Sickle Berlin Wall Robusto (5 x 50)





Video review HERE.


I first had this cigar at the 2014 Big Smoke in New York City. I recently saw them at my local shop. I was told they were selling very good so I decided to try them again. I bought some robustos and today I am reviewing the robusto version.

Wrapper: Honduran Criollo
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Honduran, Dominican


The cigar has a metal band which is unique. It has an average feel in the hand for a robusto.




After cutting the cap the test draw was very good. The initial flavors were cinnamon, tea berry, and cream with an earthy black coffee base. There was black pepper rated at 7. 



About 1 inch in there is now a touch of butter and some brown sugar. Initially there was not much sweetness in the cigar and the added butter and brown sugar help. The finish is a thick cream similar in flavor to a tapioca pudding with some lingering black pepper. The strength is medium bodied. The cigar became a little more interesting. It could use more sweetness. You should smoke this cigar slowly to get these flavors.



At the midpoint the cigar is the best it's been so far. There are a lot of buttery cinnamon and brown sugar. The pepper is moving up on the finish and it's probably doubled since the beginning. The front end pepper is about the same. The cigar is still around medium bodied. The band, which is metal, has to be rolled back carefully to avoid hurting the cigar. 



The cigar ended just shy of one hour. Fairly typical for a robusto. The flavors are about the same at the end but my problem with the cigar is there is not enough intensity of those flavors. I like the flavors but I wish the cigar had more of them. I lost the tea berry notes shortly after the midpoint but the buttery cinnamon and brown sugar were nice. The cigar made it to a low grade medium to full bodied strength.

Score: 88

No comments: