JC Newman

November 10, 2019

Isabela Cigars Belicoso X (6 x 54)






Video review HERE.


(Background info taken from hohnhed.com website)
Johnny Piette, owner, of Isabela Cigars describing the background of the cigar:
”I went to the Abacos (Bahamas) for a wedding,. a week in the 90s, and 2 things happened
The only cigars available, and in abundance, were Cuban Montecristo #2s…..

“Which was awesome for a while, but then it was overkill…kind of like eating at a steakhouse, the best steak in the world, every day and nite !

“I was dying for a different cigar, any cigar, after the heavy flavor of the #2 was overpowering me….and too linear.

“Years later, I set out to blend a cigar…a great blend….that would be heavily reminiscent…and incorporate similar flavors as the 90s version of the Cuban Montecristo #2; and also match the beautiful exotic looking craftsmanship of the Cuban Master crafted Belicoso vitola, which just by looks , set itself apart from all other torpedos with a beautiful stunning tres capa pointed head and exotic sheen in general.

“I also wanted to “modernize” or “Isabela-ize” the flavor a bit by adding to the base some Cuban flavor; a touch of modern generation sizzle and spices…and also I wanted it to transition more in flavor so that if I was stuck on an island again, with only the Isabela Belicoso X, the blend would give me enough transitions and changes to maintain interest and enthusiasm….waking up each day excited to enjoy the Belicoso X again, let it take me on a journey of flavors, and keep my palate tantalized yet off balance, always wanting more…..”


Wrapper: Undisclosed
Binder: Undisclosed
Filler: Undisclosed
Vitola: 6 x 54 Belicoso


As you can see not much is known about the cigar but the appearance is great. It's a very light brown color; Connecticut looking wrapper. The cigar has an average feel in the hand.





The test draw after cutting the cap was very firm. So, I used my PerfecDraw to open the draw. This is common among torpedos and belicosos due to the shape but the PerfectDraw works great. I only need to go in about 3/4 inch and everything was fine. The initial flavors at light up were a citrus/cedar, brown sugar, cinnamon, flashes of cream, flashes of roasted nuts, nutmeg, and a lot of an earthy black coffee. There was nice black pepper rated at an 8. 




At the first third (25 minutes) the flavors are just like I initially described. The massive earthy black coffee and nutmeg have toned down. The cigar is medium bodied. The finish is roasted nuts, brown sugar, nutmeg, and a nice amount of lingering black pepper. The cigar is tasty. I rated the first third at 91.




As I moved through the second third (54 minutes) the cigar got darker. The nutmeg and black coffee notes really increased. The cigar is still medium bodied and the finish is unchanged. I am enjoying the cigar but lowered the second third score to 90 with the elevated darker notes.




The cigar lasted 1 hour 20 minutes. In the final third the heavy nutmeg and coffee notes reverted back to the normal level they had in the first third. I finished with citrus/cedar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, roasted nuts, and an earthy black coffee. This was a pretty good cigar but not in the class of the Pepperhead, which was fantastic. I raised the final third score to 91. These, unlike the Pepperhead, are a regular production cigar and available on the Isabella Cigars website


Overall Score: 90.67

No comments: